The City is seeking citizens interested in filling vacancies on the Gig Harbor Design Review Board.
The Design Review Board (DRB) is charged with the interpretation, review and implementation of the City’s Design Manual. The DRB also acts on behalf of the State Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation (DAHP) to review properties that apply for listing on the City’s Register of Historic Places. View the Gig Harbor Municipal Code (GHMC) Title 2.21 and Title 17.98.055 for more information on the Board’s review and recommendation authority.
For more information, please see the design review process and requirements and the Design Review Board Bylaws.
Volunteer members of the DRB must live in the greater Gig Harbor area (within Pierce County on this side of the Tacoma Narrows and Purdy Bridges). Members serve three-year terms. Applicants for the vacant position on the DRB must fall into one of the following categories:
- A city resident with demonstrated interest and knowledge of urban design
- A member from the Gig Harbor Planning Commission
- A member with a professional background relating to urban design (e.g., a professional artist, a civil engineer, planner, building contractor or professional building designer)
- A member with demonstrated interest and knowledge of landscaping, horticulture, arboriculture or forestry
- An individual with a background in identifying, evaluating and protecting historic resources, selected from among the disciplines of architecture, history, architectural history, planning, prehistoric and historic archaeology, folklore, cultural anthropology, curation, conservation or landscape architecture, or related disciplines. (At least two members should be selected from this category.) Members in this category may participate in all applications reviewed by the DRB pursuant to Chapter 17.99 GHMC (Design Manual), but shall participate in applications received pursuant to Chapter 17.97 GHMC (Historic Preservation).
Persons interested in serving on the Design Review Board should submit an application online by August 31, 2022. Please contact the City Clerk's office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (253) 853-7613 if you have any questions.