Urban Forestry Management Plan
The City of Gig Harbor recognizes the aesthetic, social, and ecological value of trees however, the City has not had a program to guide the management and enhancement of its urban forest.
In January 2022 the Gig Harbor City Council prioritized urban forestry through the adoption of an urban forest management plan within its City of Gig Harbor Two-Year Strategic Plan 2022-2023.
In May 2022 the City received matching funds from the Washington State Department of Natural Resources Community Forestry Program to develop and implement an urban forestry management plan. In August 2022 the City contracted with Davey Resources Group, Inc. to develop the urban forestry management plan.
The consultant will deliver the plan in four parts across the project timeline to allow for comprehensive feedback and review. The four parts will be synthesized into the final report in Spring 2023. The grant deadline is June 1, 2023.
Deliverable 1: Program Review
- Review of City documents related to the urban forest.
- Interviews with key internal and external stakeholders.
- GIS assessment of the urban tree canopy.
Deliverable 2: Land Cover and Planting Assessment
- GIS assessment of total canopy cover percentage, public land canopy assessment, forest cover on undeveloped open space, canopy cover on private lands.
- Identifying priority planting areas using socio-demographics, population density, proximity to surface waters and impaired waterways, geographic and soil information, ownership, links to trails, stormwater issues, and urban heat island mitigation.
- Summary report of all urban tree canopy metrics as determined in the urban tree canopy analysis.
Deliverable 3: Management Metrics
- Define the challenges and opportunities in urban forestry management.
- Develop recommendations for objectives and action steps consistent with City goals impolicies that provide improvements in internal efficiencies, cost reductions, and limit liability.
- Develop key performance indicators that will promote better communication and coordination among City departments, decision-makers, and the community.
Deliverable 4: Ordinance Review & Public Outreach
- Review existing codes, regulations, and ordinances.
- Redline recommendations for existing codes, regulations, and ordinances to develop recommendations consistent with City goals and policies that provide for internal efficiencies, cost reductions, and mitigating risk.
- City staff will conduct public outreach.
Deliverable 5: Final Urban Forestry Management Plan
- Deliverables 1-4 will be synthesized into a cohesive management plan which the City can revise after the project is complete.
Deliverable 1 anticipated delivery & staff review
December 2-16, 2022
Project Overview, Planning Commission
December 15, 2022
Deliverable 4 anticipated delivery & staff review
January 11-25, 2023
Deliverable 2 anticipated delivery & staff review
January 20 – February 4, 2023
Deliverable 3 anticipated delivery & staff review
January 28 – February 18, 2023
Anticipated public survey launch
February 6, 2023
Deliverable 5 anticipated delivery & staff review
April 4, 2023