Gig Harbor Sports Complex
About the Gig Harbor Sports Complex
The City of Gig Harbor has experienced tremendous growth in recent years which has created a need for additional community recreational opportunities, with sports fields being identified as a key need by the City's residents.
In 2014-15, the City Council adopted a Vision and Master Plan for the original 7.07 acres encompassing the southern portion of the Sports Complex (Phase 3). In 2016-17 the City acquired and additional 21 acres of land (including the Peninsula Light Little League fields) to form the current Sports Complex. This map shows the ownership of the parcels comprising the Gig Harbor Sports Complex and surrounding recreation properties.
In 2018, the City contracted with Bruce Dees & Associates to develop a Master Plan for developing the entire Sports Complex. The Master Planning process included multiple open houses and public hearings at the administrative, Parks Commission and City Council levels.
On July 23, 2018, the Gig Harbor City Council approved the Gig Harbor Sports Complex Master Plan, as shown below. The Master Plan provides official direction for design, permitting and construction of the Sports Complex.
The development of the Sports Complex has been divided into three phases. Phase 1 has been subdivided in to Phase 1A and Phase 1B to be developed by the YMCA and the City, respectively.
Phase 1A includes the sports fields designated as A1 and A2 on the Master Plan. The YMCA is responsible for financing and developing these fields under a lease agreement with the City. Per the terms of the lease agreement, design and permitting on Phase 1A will occur before June 2023 and construction will be completed by December 2024.
Phase 1B includes recreational amenities located between the existing YMCA facility and Phase 1A. This includes restrooms/concession building, picnic shelters, event lawn, bocce ball courts, pickle ball courts, and additional parking. The design and permitting process for Phase 1B is underway as of March 2022 and will include opportunities for public input on the project design, traffic impact analysis, tree survey, and environmental review. Permitting is scheduled to be completed by April 2023 before construction begins in the summer of 2023. The total cost for Phase 1B is estimated at $3.8 million. A $500,000 Washington State Recreation and Conservation Office grant has been allocated for this project
Phase 1B Update:
Below are links to the boards that were presented at the Sports Complex Phase 1B open house on 6/28/2022. Public input was requested for the pickleball courts, performance stage, and playground equipment. There will be a presentation to Parks Commission on 7/6/2022 where there will also be opportunity for public input. The Sports Complex Phase 1B concepts will also be presented at the 7/14/2022 City Council study session. Open House hosted by the City of Gig Harbor on June 28th, 2022:
Phase 2 includes development of sports fields designated as A5, A6, A9, A10 and A11 surrounding the existing Little League fields.
Phase 3 includes the development of sports fields designated as A3, A4, A7 and A8 immediately south of the existing YMCA facility.
Since adopting the Master Plan in 2018, the City has taken numerous steps to move the Sports Complex forward from vision into reality. The City Council has conducted a number of public meetings to take action on the next steps of the project. These include:
- City Council Study Session of September 10, 2019 - Council discussed a potential MOU with the YMCA to form a public-private partnership to develop Phase 1 of the Sports Complex.
- City Council Meeting of September 23, 2019 - Council gave direction to staff to prepare a MOU with the YMCA. Phase 1 of the project was identified as splitting into two phases: Phase 1A which would include two sports fields and be developed by the YMCA and Phase 1B which would be developed by the City and include other recreational amenities adjacent to the sports fields.
- City Council Meeting of October 14, 2019 - The City Council approved the MOU with the YMCA.
- City Council Study Session of March 11, 2020 - The City Council discussed the potential for an RCO grant to assist with developing Phase 1B.
- City Council Meeting of April 27, 2020 - The City Council authorized an application for RCO grant funding to develop Phase 1B of the Sports Complex.
- City Council Study Session of October 28, 2020 - The City Council reviewed a draft lease agreement with the YMCA for the development of Phase 1A.
- City Council Study Session of March 11, 2021 - The City Council reviewed a draft lease agreement with the YMCA for the development of Phase 1A.
- City Council Special Meeting of May 6, 2021 - The City Council reviewed a draft lease agreement with the YMCA for the development of Phase 1A.
- City Council Meeting of May 10, 2021 - The City Council approved the lease agreement with the YMCA for Phase 1A.
- City Council Meeting of March 28, 2022 - The City Council approved a Professional Services Contract with BCRA, for the Gig Harbor Sports Complex Phase 1B design and permitting.
- Open House May 7th ,2022 - A staff-led, informational open house to discuss the history and future of the Gig Harbor Sports Complex.
- City Council Study Session May 26th, 2022 - The City Council discussed the purpose and history of the Sports Complex, current obligations associated with the Sports Complex, a summary of the May 5th open house, a focused discussion on the Phase 1B project, and a dialog on the next steps.
- Open House June 28th , 2022 - Public input was requested for pickleball courts, performance stage, and playground equipment.