January 24, 2018
Welcome everyone. The last time I reported about the city was January 2nd, my first official day in office. We presented you with a Vision and Mission statement which had been lacking for over 8 years.
Moving forward 3 weeks, we have been busy! Two council meetings behind us, 4 new Councilmembers and a staff that feels settled with a clear direction moving forward. I am proud of our over 100 employees that work diligently every day to provide services, many of which we take for granted. I have a better respect for them looking from the inside. We are all blessed to call Gig Harbor home.
I want to hear from you. Coffee with Kit is scheduled for the first Tuesday of every month at MarKee, 5275 Olympic Dr. Stop in between 7:00am – 8:00am and share your thoughts or ask questions. MarKee has hot beverages and treats for purchase. February 6th is my first Coffee with Kit.
So, what am I working on?
1) I let our City Administrator go my first day in office. By February 12th we should have decided on the national recruitment company to find the proven person we are looking for. We are only going to accept the best, we deserve it. I will keep you updated on this.
2) Sports Complex: We need more sports fields. We have recently acquired property near the YMCA in Gig Harbor north, thanks to past council members. We also own several parcels adjacent to this. We are in the process of reaching out to our citizens and partners for input as we develop a sports complex that could satisfy our youth with fields that have been needed for decades. The YMCA is very interested in helping us to make this happen and has stepped forward to show a strong interest. We hope to get our citizens involved to make sure their wishes are heard. We envision a fantastic sports complex with lit and turfed fields for our winter weather. We also have a rare chance of providing a forest within one of the adjacent areas where we can provide beautiful wooded trails and a balance for everyone to enjoy. But our goal is to let you, our citizens, weigh in on this plan. We need your feedback by the end of March so watch for our outreach in the near future on our city’s website, social media, partnering sites, publications, and flyers.
3) Ancich Waterfront Park: As you know, it is moving along. I did make one change that has been well received and that is to have grass pavers in the lower area. Solid pavers will still be used in front of the boat storage for 8 feet but then grass pavers will be used, providing many positive elements: environmentally friendly and storm water dissipation, beauty versus solid pavement, and less global warming and heat in the summer. I hope the public agrees with this small change and I look forward to your input at our upcoming council meeting. Sign up to receive notifications of project updates through Notify Me at http://www.cityofgigharbor.net/list.aspx
4) Post Office: We recently met with the United States Postal Service (USPS) Real Estate Specialist and will be helping to identify possible locations to address their needs. We will keep you updated as we try to come up with the best solution for our citizens while working with the needs of the post office. Their lease in the current downtown location has been extended until 2021.
5) FISH - Our Local Food Bank: For over a year our city has been trying to provide a better location for FISH to service those in need. We have reached out to Representative Kilmer to assist with transferring land to the City that is owned by Pierce Transit. This land, near Hunt Street, would be an excellent location for the FISH Food Bank building. More updates to come.
I enjoy working with our citizens, partners, and businesses. Together we will work hard to build our city responsibly while maintaining our character and culture.
Mayor Kit Kuhn