Essential City Services Continuing to be Provided
While the Civic Center is closed to the public, the City of Gig Harbor is actively working to make sure we are still providing all essential services:
The Police Department continues to operate 24/7. Our officers have been instructed to handle routine calls by telephone when appropriate and may ask that you speak with them outside if they arrive at your location.
Our dispatch agency, South Sound 911, may ask you some screening questions about potential COVID-19 threats when our officers are responding. Be aware that these questions are for the safety of our officers and the public. These screening questions will not delay any police response.
We have suspended the processing of NEW Concealed Pistol License (CPL) applications but can process your CPL RENEWAL by calling our administrative offices (253-851-2236 option 2) during business hours.
We continue to respond to every call and have no restrictions on making arrests. Shoplifting has been a concern expressed by our businesses, but we will continue to respond to all criminal acts and hold people accountable. Jail restrictions dictate that we simply cite and release more misdemeanor offenders, but all suspects will face their day in court.
Our officers remain committed to keeping Gig Harbor a safe and low-crime community.
Gig Harbor Municipal Court met with city officials on Monday, March 16, 2020 to discuss the court’s ongoing response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Beginning March 16, 2020, modifications to court operations are as follows:
- Jury trials are suspended through April 2020.
- If you are scheduled to appear for a criminal proceeding between March 16 and April 3, your hearing will be continued 60 days, with some exceptions. A summons will be sent to the address on file. Failure to appear will result in a bench warrant for your arrest.
- In-custody cases and other emergency matters will be heard weekly as scheduled.
- Jurors summoned between March 16 and April 30 are excused from service.
- Contested civil infractions are continued to the month of May or thereafter. You will receive notification of the new date in the mail.
- Mitigated civil infractions will be converted to hearings-by-mail only.
- Court staff will be available via telephone (253) 851-7808 or via email email@example.com during normal business hours.
The Municipal Court will monitor the situation and re-evaluate court operations on April 3, 2020. The city website will be updated as new information becomes available.
For additional information contact Stacy Colberg, Court Administrator (253) 853-7619.
Despite the massive changes that are occurring in our region due to the COVID-19 response, the City Of Gig Harbor‘s water and sewer utilities are functioning as normal.
The City’s drinking water continues to be safe and reliable. The City’s wastewater system continues to pump and treat sewer. While we are taking precautions to maintain the health of our staff, we are fully staffed and operating as usual.
The City Community Development Department is committed to providing development review and inspection services during this unprecedented time, unless otherwise instructed by Health Officials or the Governor. For information on construction currently allowed under the Stay Home, Stay Healthy Proclamation, please see the Governor’s guidance on construction.
Please be aware of the following changes regarding how we are conducting business:
- In-person meetings or inquiries: City Hall is closed to the public until April 6, 2020 (at a minimum). All inquiries and meetings will need to occur via phone or email. The City’s main phone line is 253-851-6170, and will be staffed M-F from 8am-5pm.
- Planner of the Day: Planner of the Day service is available electronically by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Plan Submittals: Until City Hall re-opens, only electronic submittals will be accepted.
- For Planning Submittals, please email firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com.
- For Engineering Submittals, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Building Submittals, please email email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org
All parties requesting inspections from the City of Gig Harbor
For the purposes of maintaining the social distancing protocols suggested by our Governor and health officials, the City of Gig Harbor is requiring additional safety measures to be followed:
No handshakes or other contact with on-site personnel.
Inspections are to be conducted alone with a minimum 6 feet of separation from all other personnel.
If there are any workers who are sick or are exhibiting any symptoms attributed to COVID-19 they may not be on-site at the same time as our inspection staff.
If any of these conditions cannot be met, our inspectors have the authority to stop the inspection and require that it be rescheduled to a time when these protocols can be followed. Thank you for your understanding and willingness to work together to create the safest work environment possible.