Donkey Creek Park, located at 8714 North Harborview Drive is a 1.3 acre natural area consisting of mown open area. "Ringing in the Salmon", a work by Tom Torrens and Ben Isitt, was installed in 2009 and celebrates the return of salmon to Donkey Creek each fall. A gravel trail extends under the bridge next to the Harbor History Museum and connects to Donkey Creek Park. There is also a fish hatchery (remote salmon incubators) maintained by members of the Gig Harbor Commercial Fishermen's Civic Club since 1971.
The S'Homamish lived in a winter village known as Twalwelkax meaning "trout" at the mouth of Donkey Creek. The village appears to have been disbanded in the early 1900's followed by construction of the Austin Mill. At the time, a donkey engine was used by loggers to move timber downstream for transport to the mill. The building was demolished in 2002, but original logs were salvaged and used to side the Donkey Creek restroom constructed in 2004.